Wednesday 5 August 2015

New Spanish books



When I returned from 10 days in Cantabria yesterday, my suitcase was quite a lot heavier than it was when I left.  Why?  Lots of new books of course!

I was keeping a special eye out for things that I could use with Years 5 and 6, but that doesn't mean all the others got neglected.

First of all, not a book but a magazine.  It's an ¡Hola! special, full of Top 10s and other lists that will be useful for reading exercises, especially for Key Stage 3.
I'm not familiar with the work of Lara Jones's Poppy Cat, and so didn't recognise her as Lupe in this book.  Inside the sentences are nice and repetitive, and all about what Lupe likes to eat.  It would be easy for children to adapt this.

I work on minibeasts with Year 1, but it's the sort of topic that you can return to in subsequent years in greater depth.  This book (bargain at €3,95!) has pages which give basic information about each insect, and then you can fold out the pages to get much more information.  I'd recommend a look at the rest of the Enciclopeque series.



I've been very conscious this year that I haven't looked at any books with Year 5 and Year 6.  I have found these two non-fiction books which I won't use in their entirety, but which have many useful non-fiction texts.  Every page has some kind of lift-the-flap or fold out page.  They are part of a series of 32 books, covering themes as diverse as the Vikings and the 5 senses.




Year 3's new History curriculum is all about the Stone Age and Iron Age, and my own daughter, who has just finished Year 3, particularly enjoyed learning about cave paintings.  Last week we really enjoyed visiting the Museo de Altamira, a world heritage site and home to some of the most important cave paintings in the world.  I bought this book there.  It's very good, lots of lift-the-flaps and information, and excellent for technical vocabulary about Prehistory.  Again it's part of a series.



I already have a number of books in this series, and bought this one as a branch of the Camino passed through the area that we were staying in, and we passed a number of pilgrims every day.  The Flamenco one will come in handy for Year 2.
Some Spanish handwriting practice books, mainly to show the children.  I have something similar in French, which children always enjoy seeing.
Super Niño is a lovely book for introducing items of clothing with possessive adjectives.  Each page has a cut out, so that with each turn of the page you add an item of Super Niño's superhero clothing to Nina to make her Super Niña.  Only problem is, that leaves you with a picture at the end that some may consider inappropriate for use in school...




I hope you can see all the pictures and words OK - Blogger has been really misbehaving while I've been typing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment