Sunday 28 May 2017

Flowcharts


Apart from two rainy interludes, yesterday was warm and windy - excellent drying weather.  While I was pegging out another load of washing, I had the idea that some grammatical points can be explained and facilitated using flowcharts.  I sketched some out last night, and today had a go at making them.

I wanted to use an app, but couldn't find one that I liked and that worked well on my tablet.  If you know of a good Android flowchart app, please let me know in the comments!

I consulted with my engineer husband, who I knew had recently put together a complex flowchart as instructions for an electronic archery gadget he made.  He told me about the meanings of the differently-shaped boxes and arrows, and said that Publisher was a good tool.  That was OK, as I make most of my resources using Publisher.  It was the first time, though, that I have used the flowchart Autoshapes for their proper purpose!

Flowchart-Plurals copyright Light Bulb Languages

Flowchart-Articles copyright Light Bulb Languages

These two were relatively simple to put together.  There are things like Ser and Estar, and Por and Para that I could do as well, but they would be much more complex!

I also discovered this afternoon that flowcharts are part of the programming component of the KS2 Computing curriculum.  Flowcharts, therefore, are another opportunity for some cross-curricular learning.  Children could demonstrate their understanding of concepts or groups of vocabulary by devising a flowchart for their classmates to test out and debug.

What do you think?  Do you think flowcharts would be a useful tool in the languages classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment